Tuesday, June 15, 2004

California, here I come!

In grade school, we did a Spring Show every year. When I first started at the school, they would choose a theme, and each grade would get a category from that theme, and perform songs associated with it. (Later, they switched to the much more straightforward musical. The only problem with that? There are only a limited number of shows that you could conceivably put an entire school's worth of children in to.)

Anyway, one year, the theme was states. My class had Pennsylvania. We sang "The Bristol Stomp", "South Street", and that Patti LaBelle classic, "Philadelphia (Get to Know Us)". And, of course, having rehearsed those songs twice a week all spring, they are deeply ingrained in my memory. But why do I remember "California, Here I Come"? I mean, I could practically sing the whole song! It's not a song that I've ever heard outside of that show. (My remembrance of that song is hearing it the way a group of kids sing it.) And yet.

P.S. I'd like to see John Sack while we're in CA if I can. If anyone knows his email address or phone number, let me know.