Thursday, December 29, 2005

Florida: Day 3 - Universal

My very first trip to Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure, and as Caroline predicts, my very last. Or at least, her very last. Which is why we absolutely MUST accompany her on the Jurassic Park ride! She has a weakness for log flume rides which must be quenched. I do not like being wet a) when it is less than 90 degrees outside b) in my normal clothes and c) primarily on my head and shoulders, so I do not like log flume rides. No matter how much each of us explain this to her, Caroline persists in believing it is because we just hate her. Current JP tally: 47 requests to ride this ride. I think Steven is weakening.

Universal Studios has come up with an absolutely brilliant plan for line-jumping. The single rider line is my new best friend. By agreeing to ride by yourself, you can cut your line time in half, or sometimes more. Sometimes, you still get to ride together! And you know what? I can just talk to you about the ride 30 seconds after it ends, rather than as we push our lap bar away. Note: single-rider lines are not good for people who like to hide their faces in the person next to them. Jane, that means you.

Another benefit of Universal over Disney. They pump real music into the park, not Christmas music (hello? It's over!) covered by Disney characters.

The downside of Universal? They're loving the coasters there. Space Mountain aside, I am a major coaster wimp, and will not ride anything that loops the loop, goes backwards, or has any serious risk of my shoes flying off. Haven't people heard about their brains banging around in their skulls like a clapper in a bell?

That being said, Universal has learned about the magic of the movies. The Mummy ride is a coaster, I guess, in the sense that it runs on a track, and there are a couple of drops. If it were outside, it would be a lame, tiny baby coaster. But they put it inside, and they blast you with fire and water and mummies that jump out at you. THAT'S a good ride.