Monday, December 05, 2005

The Greatest American Lip Balm

Do you ever find something that you find incredibly amazing, an A+ example of its genre, and then you start telling your friends about it, and they just say, "yeah, it's pretty good."? No, it's not pretty good, it's AMAZING!

This lip balm is not like that. It is the "best lip balm ever" of all Horstmanns surveyed. I hoard my sticks like so much gold. Steven is limited to one coat a day, otherwise he will eat through my stores. I refuse to throw out sticks just because the plastic scrapes my lips; there's still a good quarter-inch of balm down there!

Sadly, this lip balm falls into the genre of "things so great, they had to stop making them". I will tell you more about it, just because I have googled this more than once, so maybe one day, this post will become the meeting place of all true fans of this balm.

It's Crabtree and Evelyn Lip Balm. It has no other name. It is in a white tube, with a white label. Its label: Ingredients: Petrolatum USP, White Mineral Oil, Carnauba Wax, Tenox II, Vanillin, Tincture Benzoin, Thymol, Oil Peppermint. Distribution By 1999 Crabtree & Evelyn LTD. Woodstock Hill CT 06281, USA.

OK, so it's an old school lip balm. It doesn't have any shea butter or jojoba or fancy all natural oils. It doesn't make your lips shiny. But it does protect your lips, and it's thick, so thick that you don't have to reapply every 5 seconds. And it has the most wonderful smell. Do you know that perfect first half second on peppermint Tic Tacs, before the mint has kicked in, and you get a wave of vanilla instead? THAT is what it smells like.

They used to give it out on US Airways international business flights. My dad has probably been given a hundred of these sticks over the years. If only he knew their value! One of the best things Jane ever gave me was a stick of this lip balm that she salvaged out of a travel case long ago. When I told Anne that Jane gave me a stick, she was so jealous. That's just because her stash ran out years ago.