Wednesday, June 30, 2004

Borders is the ultimate.

We all know Amazon is pretty darn awesome, but it's online. Borders is officially the best store, not online.

1. Borders is open early and closes late.
Yesterday, after I ate breakfast I thought about going to Rittenhouse square. It was pretty darn chilly outside and I was dressed for 80 degree weather. So I thought I'll go where all good things come from, Tower Records. So I walked towards Tower, I get there. Fancy that, there was no one inside. Oh well the plan was: I'd continue towards the door, bang on it and start crying until they would let me in so I can continue to listen to music and not buy anything. It's 8:45 and Tower opens at 9. Okay...what to do, what to do? I notice people walking into Borders so I decide to take my non-existent business elsewhere. Borders happened to have been open since 8:30. Perfecto.

2. Borders combines three of the best things in life: books, movies and music.
I made my way upstairs towards the music when I spotted a book I was intrested in because Amazon told me I would like it since I liked the Postal Service. They were right. The book had a tone much like J.D. Slainger and seemed to have the same idea of my book, but by that I mean he wrote about school. Once I finished reading for around half an hour, I listened to a little bit of the Cure's new album, and left.

3. People watching.
It was fun to watch the different people who sat down across from me and began to read. You could tell when people were ready to buy the book or put it back. Watching people enjoy an album was nice, but watching people dance to an album was funny. I'm sure people were watching me. And the one time when I laughed out loud at the book seemed to be the signal "Come sit next to me," because suddenly two people showed up out of nowhere.

Borders only downfall is: the one in Rosemont lost a lot of points by making their music section smaller.