Wednesday, March 10, 2004

The great lip balms of my time

I probably have 6-7 active instances of lip balm running at any one time, so I am what you might describe in a product survey as a Heavy User of lip balm. However, I have come to a crisis point in my lip balm career. Namely, my most favorite type of lip balm is no longer available!

The two great lip balms of my life:

Softlips - it came in that tiny little stick, so you used it up really quickly. (I also do not know why I'm listing this like it's a benefit.) Good flavors. It was hard to find -- scarcity drives demand. My love of this lip balm is a marketer's dream.

Crabtree and Evelyn Aloe lip balm - My current love. Now, before you think to yourself, oh Helen, there's a Crabtree 5 minutes from me, I'd be happy to go get you some lip balm if you can't find it anymore.... STOP! Crabtree has pulled a switcheroo on me. You see, their All-Time World's Greatest Lip Balm was seemingly only available on US Airways international flights, and only then, in business class. This kind smells like vanilla, and goes on like heaven. The kind they LABEL Aloe lip balm in the stores smells like licorice, and has a totally different consistency. Thankfully, my father has a closet stuffed with those little business class pouches, so I was able to get by for years on a little hoarde of tubes I squirrelled away in my apartment. But that supply is quickly drying up, and I am at a loss.

So, here it is. I need a new lip balm. My criteria:
1) Stick format. I cannot own lip balm that requires me to use my fingers to apply it.
2) THICK consistency. I don't like those thin, glossy coats that require you to re-apply 12 times a day.

Help me, Readers! You're my only hope.