Wednesday, January 21, 2004

Back to our regularly scheduled show.

Update: Steven and I went to New Hampshire last weekend. In addition to confirming that Mary is indeed still alive, we volunteered for Howard Dean. We also met some seriously cool people, including the people who housed us for the weekend. Click on the link above to check out their website, and see where we stayed! It was really fun, and we met a lot of terrific people who were all working hard to make sure Dean has a strong showing in New Hampshire.

Which brings us to the ever-popular question: what happened in Iowa? Honestly, I don't know. I've heard bad press, mud slinging, and the "anger" issue all played in. I will say that, if anyone else was going to win the caucuses, I'm glad it was John Kerry. Additionally, I was thrilled to see Gephardt get out of the race. Maybe someday, Mary will shed some insight.

What can I tell you on the ground in New Hampshire? First off, Clark was out in force. Even though both he and Lieberman stayed out of Iowa to focus on New Hampshire, you would never know it based on the number of Lieberman supporters/signs/pins/bumper stickers I saw. Clark at least was getting some serious exposure out of it.

What are Dean's chances? I really don't know. Yes, he has lots of supporters. Yes, he has lots of money. Yes, he has been focusing a lot of attention on New Hampshire. Maybe too much attention. The trouble with being the front runner is, your strategy has to be keep the voters you have, and get them out. This is good, because you have a lot of them. This is bad, because it means they're hearing from you a lot. Sometimes, that is just annoying.